vision 2020...just an illusion??

A co-worker's boyfriend had asked me how can I leave the land of opportunities and go back to India. "What is there in India?" these were his exact words. " what is there in India" that I am moving back to?

yes, there is corruption in India. There is pollution, population explosion, traffic jams, insensitivity,illiteracy, female foeticide and infanticide . There is lack of civic sense, lack of good organization and there is no cleanliness. We spit on the road and all the walls on the road are public urinals and men make graffiti with pee on all those walls. Haaa! tell me what isn't there in India. A lot of people I know don't want to go back to India for all those mentioned above and a lot more. And can we do anything about it? Yeah, we can fret about it and enjoy watching on-screen how the heroes fight these evils while we munch on our popcorn.

may be, my being a hypocrite has a lot to do with the country I come from. The country, the state, the social circle, the people who call themselves modern, but , in reality, are eons away from ounces of modernism. Their definition of modernism is wearing trendy clothes, driving fancy cars and having the latest electronic gadgets at their disposal. Oh yeah, and educating their girl child and not even another step beyond that. We bask in the glories of the past and take pride in the culture that we lost long ago.

I feel more proud when I talk about the US of A than India. I have seen family and friends from middle class households achieve so much here what they couldn't do back home for lack of opportunity. Opportunities are only for those people with paisa and power. Religion, reservation and recommendation is all I can think of when I think about India. The millionaire ex-minister's billionaire member of parliament son's industrialist son's son is by all means eligible for free education just because his great-great grandfather was treated bad a hundred years ago. It is very fair that a girl be attacked in broad day light on the streets of Bengaluru cos she fancies wearing jeans and a shirt and drives a car!! Anyone who has money can become a politician and a criminal record would be an asset. You have to bribe the govt for everything from getting a birth certificate to drivers license, to start a business and even to do charity work. Secularism, equality of gender,caste,class etc are all confined to books and the four walls of the classroom. We have more money in the Swiss bank than the rest of the world combined and our MPs get bonuses for raising questions in Parliament.

I know no country is perfect, but mine is just worse. As a matter of fact, its the people that make the country good or bad. We complain about everything. We dream about change. We talk about how things should be done and what should have not been done sitting thousands of miles away. But, we dont have the courage to be the change.. We can only talk and talk and talk but can't walk the talk. The first half of the life is spent making money and the second half complaining about the system. maybe a lifetime is just not enough to witness THE change. As long as I have known, I haven't asked HIM for anything..but tonight I will pray for the strength to be able to do better than just talking!


Comments

Chaitu said…
I heard you, will follow your footsteps sometime soon.
pr:Dtam said…
:|

adi antha sare kani..nuvu epudu osthunav?
AmIpurfect said…
So.. what are you trying to say? By the way, all we have to do to be able help the country is to be good ourselves. Nothing else.
;)
Vamsee said…
I was about to write on this topic and u beat me on this one.. I agree with things you said..but I totally disagree with your views on reservation..They have reservations for women.. don't they? After all this education and coming to western countries..and still people are griping about reservations..that shows the power of rigid hindu culture..no matter where u go.

On the other hand, I applaud ur decision to go back. Nice.
AS... said…
@ vamsee

yeah, when I said reservation, i meant about that for women too. 80% of the girls who take advantage of the quota don't even do justice to it. And then, there are a few who are well-to-do-dad's-pampered-lassies who spend thousands every month on looking good and trendy. I fail to understand what is so backward about them..

As regards the griping, it is with a hope that the system changes. Reservations should be made for people with lack of opportunity and lack of resources..most of the so called backward castes are not backward anymore..

and lastly, do write on this topic.. would love to read what you think about it...
AS... said…
@ pritam

bahut jaldi...may be by next weekend if everything goes well..

and now that you know when I am coming, can I expect a red carpet welcome? ;)
Aditya said…
It's nice to know such people exist too..but beware of being too idealistic.
Unknown said…
Hey this is Ravi Shankar from Hyderabad.. Just happened to pass by your blog..
This post Vision 2020 is very impressive..
As told,it all depends on people.As long as the people(majority of them) brood in ignorance...the politicians continue to loot them and their opportunities
Krystina said…
My darling, if anyone can change the world, I believe it is you. Start the movement to change the world, our kids will read about you in history books one day.

xxoo
AS... said…
@ aditya

thanks! i get that very often (i mean being called an idealist)!
AS... said…
@ shankar

more than ignorance, i think its their unwillingness to accept reality.
AS... said…
@ Krystina

haha..thank you!!
i think the system will change me even before I can start a change! :P

Popular posts from this blog

The BadCow story

once more, please!