My First Solo Trip - Rishikesh

I once read in one of those solo traveller blogs that 

"If you want to learn something new - travel.
If you want to discover something new about yourself - travel solo."

and wanted to travel solo ever since...

I have always had a thing for travelling and exploring new places (travellers too! ;) ) and decided I will travel solo before I turn 30. My life had been so disorganised and chaotic in the recent past with so little time for myself that I realised it was time I took a break to do something for myself.. something new... something that made me challenge myself to come out of my comfort zone.. something that allowed me to meet new and interesting people..and explore!

After a lot of thought and research , I decided to go to Rishikesh and stay at an ashram as I wanted to spend a lot of time with myself, in self introspection and away from the hustle bustle of everyday life.  I signed up for a yoga course at an ashram because I wasn't sure if I was cut out for solo travelling and thought this would be a little less daunting and also give me an opportunity to do different things; like attend the yoga classes and still have time to explore the place by myself.

Rishikesh is a magical place. I was never a religious person but this place seems to have a lot of positive vibrations. It makes you want to stay back forever! And that's how my yoga teacher Induji made it her home. She came here 15 years ago and fell in love with this place and decided to stay back. The sun rise, the cool breeze , the early morning chirping of the birds, just sitting on the banks of the Ganges and staring into the sky with the cold water lapping around our feet, the experience was simply A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. 


The Parmarth Niketan Ashram
The Ganges

The Ganga Aarti

Yoga Class at the ashram




I thought I will have a lot of time for 'self introspection' but I was in for a surprise. I met a bunch of interesting folks (all solo travellers) from across Vijayawada to Argentina who have inspired me in so many ways and made me discover a lot about myself in the process. From profound discussions on 'self realisation' to dirty talks, from yoga and vedic chanting at the ashram to bungy jumping, from deep discussions on the banks of the Ganges to hysterical bouts of laughter during meals at the ashram, we have had it all! 



The Gang!
And the best part of the course  was our graduation ceremony - It was us performing a havan (homam/ fire ritual) on the banks of the Ganges while chanting Vedic mantras taught to us during the course .
The Graduates :)
Things I learnt during my solo travel to Rishikesh:

1) You need very little to be happy. Materialistic gratifications are temporary.

2) You are only bound by imaginary restrictions. If you have the conviction to do something there is nothing that can stop you. Fear is also imaginary.

3) I am more capable than what I think I am. That I need to constantly challenge myself to do more and move out of my 'comfortably numb' zone.

4) Age is just a number. It should never limit you from doing what you want.

5) Every person is the same. Irrespective of which country/culture one is from or what language they speak , we all have the same wants and share the same insecurities. 

6) You can find your inspiration from the least expected places and persons. The 59 year old Argentinian, Silvia, inspired me to travel. To keep yourself before everything else. To be yourself. To love life and laugh. A 26 year old from Delhi, Arun, reminded me that I need to constantly challenge my boundaries and 'pushed' me to do more. If not for him I wouldn't have bungy jumped!

7) Explored the more confident and independent side of myself. 

8) Nobody has it all figured out. It's ok to not know what to do. And it's also ok to start late.

9) Life is very short to be living for someone else.

I came back with a heavy heart and loads of memories and new friends. How I wish I started travelling solo much earlier...

If you plan to visit Rishikesh, here's a list of things you shouldn't miss:
(OK.  I am not religious and I am not including any temples in this list)


  • Bungy Jumping and flying fox at Jumping Heights (This is the highest Jump in India - 83m)
  • Witness the Ganga Aarti
  • Watch sunrise and sunset 
  • Experience the cool breeze on your face while standing on one of the jhoolas - Ram Jhoola or Lakshman Jhoola
  • Visit the Maharishi Ashram (The Beatles stayed here)
  • Sign up for a Yoga Class (look for a class that has Yoga Nidra )
  • Have pancakes and porridge for breakfast at the Office (a tiny place near Ram Jhoola)
  • Eat at Little Buddha and the German Bakery (This one's near Lakshman Jhoola)
  • Street shopping - I fell in love with the whites and junk jewellery
  • River rafting
  • Sit on the banks of the Ganges with your feet into the water.




Comments

Manish said…
very nice way to put ....
am first time solo backpacker too heading Rishikesh next week....
It helped a lot and felt like this is what my perspective towards life and me very well written by u
Anonymous said…
Very nice post! Thanks. Which Ashram did you stay at?
Saurabh said…
I am inspired, finalizing my solo trip by the weekend

Popular posts from this blog

The BadCow story

vision 2020...just an illusion??

once more, please!