Dumb DNA :(

lately, I have developed a good habit of following the news everyday (yes, I don’t leave an opportunity to brag. Anyways, why shouldn't I? This is my blog and I am the star here ;) ) and I came across a news video. The video showed kids in China being DNA tested at early ages like 3, so that parents can identify their hidden talents in the bud and leave no stone unturned in nurturing their teeny weeny celebrity talent and pave way for their future; say like training them to participate in the Olympics..the kids are sent to summer camps where their DNA is tested and a group of teachers observe them to see what talents they have and what they lack!! Isn’t this ridiculous? Why burden those innocent minds from such a tender age? I feel they have the rest of their lives to live under pressure to perform, stress and show off those talents. Can there be anything more cruel than snatching those angelic smiles and stealing their play time?


When I was a 3 yr old, success was successful completion of potty training. Achievements were crying my way to that chocolate box and not letting mommy feed me that green leafy stuff for dinner. The only talents I remember having as a three yr old were singing bah-bah goo-goo in broken words and scribbling on every piece of paper I could find( got smacked big time for taking my art to the wall) . And those talents neither made me a singer nor an artist .WTF! this is scary as this is more proof that I am bird-brained :(

I was wondering what would have the result been if my daddy dearest took me for the DNA test ??

Daddy: Doctor, can you please do 'THE' DNA test to identify my daughter's gamut of talents.. (dad praying that I be the multi-talented prodigal daughter)

Doctor:

The kid will not be tall, so she cant be a basketball player

The kid is not going to be slim and yeah, tall, so modeling ruled out

lack of creative side rules out creative professions like painting, writing, designing etc etc

No patience..so cant be a teacher

not really dexterous...so wouldn't be a good mechanic/pathologist/chemist

Not a good listener…so no doctor/psychology/counselor

Cannot argue… law is out of question

Shit scared of insects..so cannot be an entomologist

Lacks motherly instincts…so cannot be a gardener/nanny

does not seem to be very agile...cannot be a cheerleader/gymnast

Will be a computer illiterate… so no programming genius seen here

will suck at spellings...will be a disgrace at spell bee

Might be a little too lazy…and ...

Dad (nervous and sweating) : No.. don’t say that. You have ruled out almost everything. I hope there is something..Please, Doctor please,...

(sad music playing in the background;tears welling up in mom's eyes; the smart ass one year old in mom's lap laughing at the dumb older sibling)

Me, uncertain about the impending future shifting glances from dad's face to doctor uncle's face

Doctor: Sir, don’t lose hope. She can be an engineer!

Me flashes a big smile..the happy family goes home :)

Comments

Balaji said…
Several years later doctor realizes his mistake and then the
conversation goes on like this..

Doctor: I am sorry I made a mistake. She cannot be engineer, she has
zero concentration!!

Dad: Oh no!!! I can now guess what she must be doing at her work place.

Daughter: Dad, I write blogs like this :)

End of conversation with dad being utterly shocked :P
This is so funny... This is no lack of creative side... see now u know u can do painting, writing, designing etc etc
Krystina said…
I think you have motherly instincts, you were always good with Vaughn and Kyra :)
AS... said…
@ balaji

gee...

@ sharmi

entammayi...ledu ra babu ani edusthunte vetakaarams for u??

@ krystina

thats cos Vaughn is cool ;)
lol.. i love them.. I think they will be all grown up when I meet them next.
Anonymous said…
This is your best blog!!

Popular posts from this blog

The BadCow story

vision 2020...just an illusion??

once more, please!